- IFSAM provides an opportunity for executive members of associations to meet with their peers and exchange ideas and suggestions that they can use to improve the functioning of their own associations.
- IFSAM‘s General Assembly meetings provide a forum for interaction with other association representatives and discussion of issues pertaining to the management of their own association.
- IFSAM‘s General Assembly meetings and conferences provide an opportunity to develop contacts, exchange ideas, and learn from the experiences of other associations.
- IFSAM provides an opportunity to work together to support the development of academies of management in developing countries.
- IFSAM‘s conferences are held in diverse and interesting locations and are organized by academics from various member associations.
- IFSAM‘s conferences gather academics from around the world to present research and gain valuable feedback from peers, develop research networks and opportunities for collaborative research.
- IFSAM‘s conferences are venues for sharing current research and teaching practices and standards.
Benefit of membership
Based on article 2 of the IFSAM statutes, we articulate the current and future benefits of membership as follows:
1- Participating in the Council and its committees (strategy, awards, biannual conferences, certification, publications) to shape the role of IFSAM in building scholarly capacity and community nationally, regionally and globally. For example, we just decided to create 7 IFSAM awards for relevant and outstanding management research, education, service and practice;
2- Exchanging information and best practices in safeguarding and strengthening scholarly associations and in their on-going effective management such as, currently, the required shift to online activities and financial resilience, contributing hopefully to better management of your association;
3- Participating in the management of IFSAM by nominating its Council representatives or other association leaders for IFSAM executive positions;
4- Contributing to the preparation and diffusion of relevant position papers on standards of competence in management research, education and practice;
5- Contributing to and benefiting from synergies at regional level (and across adjacent regions) in cooperation with other IFSAM association members in your region, through initiatives such as joint scholarly education and faculty development (PhD and early career), joint publication outlets, scholarship – practice links,… For example, we are currently envisioning the establishment of an IFSAM Asia committee with the participation of all the Asian IFSAM members to further identify and facilitate synergies, given also the reduced financial resources of each;
6- Jointly designing, organizing and delivering relevant value adding events for members, particularly events designed to build indigenous academic capacity and connect and sustain academic community;
7- Reduced registration fee for IFSAM biannual congress for individual members of associations that are members of IFSAM and
8- Contributing to and receiving the IFSAM Newsletter informing members of activities, planned events, initiatives and developments.
Become a member
Membership types, admissibility criteria, fees and process
Scholarly associations (learned academies or societies) of management can become members of IFSAM.
According to article 3 of the Statutes, there are two types of membership: full and associate members. Criteria for each are listed in article 3 and appendices 1 and 2.
Full members of IFSAM typically include established national, regional or international associations whose primary objective is the advancement of research and teaching of management. The full membership fee is currently $1,250 (USD) per year.
Associations from developing countries, with small number of members or limited financial capacity may join IFSAM as associate members (for up to three years), paying half the full membership dues.
The IFSAM executive committee can also grant reduced full membership fees (not below the amount of associate membership) if certain conditions regarding the member limited financial capability are fulfilled.
How to Join
IFSAM is an association composed of scholarly associations of management. As article 3.1. of the Statutes states, there are two possible types of IFSAM membership: full and associate members. The membership criteria are the following:
- The majority of individual members (if any) of the association should be professional academics in the management or business field, broadly defined (employed by business schools, universities or other educational institutions).
- The majority of the association’s institutional members (if any) should be management or business education schools or colleges of universities or similar educational institutions.
- The association should arrange meetings or conferences (probably including research and/or education) at least once every two years.
- The association should have a management structure (i.e. a procedure for selecting the president/chair person, secretary and other officers).
- The association should have a regular newsletter or a website announcing its activities and giving names of the officers.
- The association should have a journal and/or a publication series.
- The association should run workshops for research students and/or junior staff (possibly in connection with the research conferences).
An association wanting to become a full member of IFSAM should have at least four of the prior criteria, whereas associate members should be primarily from developing countries with small number of scholars in the respective business discipline (article 3.3) and fulfill at least two of the 7 criteria listed above. Associate membership is limited to three years.
All member associations can send two representatives to IFSAM General Assembly; however, associate members only have one vote (article 4.2).
If your association is interested in joining IFSAM, please send a letter addressed to the IFSAM president and IFSAM secretary, that describes how your association meets these characteristics. Upon receipt of the letter, the president of IFSAM will forward it to the current General Assembly members who will then vote via one month electronic ballot. We would then inform you as soon as possible of the result of the vote.